eBook Layout and Conversion
WHEREAS the Author desires to have the Service Provider prepare manuscript into formats suitable for digital publishing (.epub & .mobi) and ready to publish directly to the major eBook marketplaces (i.e. Amazon) and the Service Provider desires to digitally prepare the Work, on the terms and conditions and in consideration of the covenants set forth herein;
AUTHOR AND SERVICE PROVIDER AGREE:
Service Provider shall deliver to the Author the Work in compliant formats that are ready-to-publish directly to the major marketplaces.
There may be minor variations in the final e-book version compared to the print or pdf version (these are consistent with best practices for the vast majority of eReaders):
- Any tables that must be retained as tables will inserted as inline images.
- Any shaded background or text in callouts or lined boxes around text, will be inserted as an image.
- Any callouts will be inserted inline as images.
- Transparent images are not supported (all images are converted to jpg with a white background)
- All images will be inserted inline (no wrapped text).
- All bullets will be in the form of a default bullet (●)
- No embedded fonts will be used, the eReader (and owner of the device) will determine the font and size.
- Hyperlinks to external websites will be active links.
- With the exception of the TOC (Table of Contents) and the Endnotes/Footnotes, there will be no active links to other parts of the book within the book itself.(ie. Bookmarks within the book that are linked to other sections within the same book)
- Table of Contents will be hyperlinked and accessible (along with cover and start page) in device navigation.
- Any indexes will be removed.
- All page #’s will be removed.
- Provide book interior in acceptable digital form, including but not limited to: Unprotected PDF, MS Word, Open Office, Pages (Mac), RTF, ePub or InDesign (compatible with Adobe InDesign CS4). If using CS5or newer, save the file in IDML format.
- Provide front cover in digital form (jpg, png, or pdf).
Account setup with Marketplaces (optional)
It is expected that Author will (or already has) establish Author accounts with Amazon, Apple, and Barnes & Noble. Account approval is outside Service Provider’s control, however Service Provider will do its best to assist a problem occurs. Author may not withhold final payment awaiting new account approval at any of the marketplaces, nor will Author receive a refund if accounts are not approved. We will assist you in creating an account at Amazon KDP if you have not already.
Not included in this scope:
The following services are NOT provided in this scope
- Editing or proofreading of existing content.
- Insertion of additional chapters or images not currently in the book.
Standard format eBooks:
Note: you will need to download them to a device that supports this format (Kindle or iPad), as the pop-up previewer Amazon provides does not accurately display Fixed Layout books.
Prices are based on the scope of the project as outlined in this proposal, based on submission of Author’s files received by Service Provider. All quoted prices are in effect for sixty (60) days. Author understands that any changes to the Work after it has been submitted may result in an $85/hour fee.
Marketplace Setup (Option)
Service Provider shall setup title for sale on Selected Marketplaces to Author’s account(s).
Additional fees apply.
- Title Setup on Author’s Amazon KDP account
- Title Setup on Author’s Apple iBooks account
There are other providers like Kobo & Nook, but since 2018, we haven't been recommending them because the vast majority of my clients see zero sales from those marketplaces.
Service Provider shall complete title setup (including upload compliant files) to Author’s accounts and provide Author with direct links (URLs) to the listings when they go live.
- Author shall establish seller accounts on each marketplace. If Author is unable to fulfill these requirements, Service Provider can assist for an additional fee.
- Provide Service Provider with any necessary account logins.
- Assist Service Provider with necessary description, categories, keywords, and price.
Additional Services Available
I'm available to elaborate and discuss additional options. Please use my online scheduler to book a marketing consultation.