Fixed Layout eBook Layout and Conversion Agreement
AGREEMENT made between Author (individually) and 50 Interviews Inc. (the “Service Provider”).
WHEREAS the Publisher is or will be the proprietor of the following described literary work (individually or collectively the “Work”) submitted.
One-time Fee includes Fixed Layout eBook files formatted specifically for Kindle Fire (.mobi) & Apple iBooks (.epub).
Optional title setup & optimization:
WHEREAS the Author desires to have the Service Provider prepare manuscript into formats suitable for digital publishing (.epub & .mobi) directly to Amazon and Apple and the Service Provider desires to digitally prepare the Work, on the terms and conditions and in consideration of the covenants set forth herein;
AUTHOR AND SERVICE PROVIDER AGREE:
1. Scope of Work
Service Provider shall deliver to the Author the Work in compliant formats that are ready-to-publish directly to the Major Marketplaces.
There may be minor variations in the final e-book versions compared to the print or pdf versions (these are consistent with best practices for the vast majority of eReaders):
In iBooks, Table of Contents will be displayed as images:
In some cases, it may be necessary to create a high resolution image with text as an image
so that a reader can double click on a screen to zoom in and out. The reader may have to use the pinch and zoom
option in order to read some of the text. One benefit of the fixed format is that the reader has the option to view a complete spread (2-pages) at once, as well as an an ability to search for text within images.
2. Author’s responsibility
- Provide book interior in acceptable digital form, including but not limited to: Unprotected PDF, MS Word, Open Office, Pages (Mac), RTF, ePub or InDesign (compatible with Adobe InDesign CS4). If using CS5, save the file in IDML format.
- Provide front cover in digital form (jpg or pdf).
- Provide font files used for original print layout (if needed).
3. Account setup with Marketplaces
It is expected that Author will (or already has) establish publisher accounts with Amazon and Apple. You may setup your accounts in advance at the following locations:
4. The following services are NOT provided in this scope
- Setting up files on Apple or Amazon. Available for an additional fee.
- Editing or proofreading of existing content.
- Insertion of additional content not currently in the work submitted.
5. Time for delivery / preliminary schedule
Service Provider will make a best effort to deliver the Work within 14 days after receipt of payment (make checks payable to: 50 Interviews Inc., Credit Card by phone, or Paypal. Author understands, however, that such delivery date shall be affected by Author's comments and suggested revisions and matters beyond Service Provider's control.
6. Author's representations:
Author represents that the manuscript and any images contained therein do not infringe any other person’s copyrights or other property rights, nor do they violate the rights of privacy of, or libel, other persons or entities. Author agrees to defend through counsel of Service Provider's choice, indemnify Service Provider and hold it harmless against all costs and liabilities arising from any claims by any person that the manuscript violates third party rights or causes damages.
7. Independent contractor
The relationship between Service Provider and Author shall be that of independent contractor and principal, and the parties are not partners or joint venturers.
8. Completion of project and future changes
Author acknowledges that account setup and approval are outside the Service Provider’s control, and any issues as a result are not a basis for non-payment of work performed.
Prices are based on the scope of the project as outlined in this proposal, based on submission of Author’s files received by Service Provider. All quoted prices are in effect for sixty (60) days. Author understands that any changes to the Work after it has been submitted will result in a $85/hour fee.
Below is a slideshow of screenshots from other Fixed Layout eBooks we have created:
Here are a few of the Fixed Layout eBooks (larger files) we have created for other clients. Please keep in mind you need to download a sample to one of the supported devices to see them accurately because the pop-up previewer Amazon provides does not correctly display Fixed Layout ebooks:
Marketplace Setup (Option)
Service Provider shall setup title for sale on Selected Marketplaces to Author’s account(s).
- $/title setup on Author’s Amazon KDP account
- $/title setup on Author’s Apple iBooks account
Scope of Work
Service Provider shall setup title for sale on Amazon and Apple.
- Service Provider shall complete title setup (including upload compliant files) to Author’s account on Amazon & Apple.
- Service Provider will provide Author with direct links (URLs) to the listings when they go live.
- Author shall establish seller accounts with Amazon & Apple. If Author is unable to fulfill these requirements, Service Provider can assist for an additional fee of $49/marketplace.
- Provide Service Provider with any necessary account logins.
- Assist Service Provider with necessary description, categories, keywords, and price. A form will be provided with additional information.
I'm available to elaborate and discuss your specific project further. Please use my online scheduler to book a marketing consultation.
Thank you for the opportunity!