Print-on-demand Formatting and Setup
WHEREAS the Author desires to have the Service Provider prepare manuscript into formats suitable for print-on-demand and the Service Provider desires to digitally prepare the Work, on the terms and conditions and in consideration of the covenants set forth herein;
Scope of Work (Interior Formatting)
Service Provider shall deliver to the Author the Work in pdf form that is accepted by printer and suitable for publishing. Please select one of the standard templates unless we have done a layout for you previously, which is most cases, we'll recommend you stick with.
Note: The amount of money you spend on formatting has a direct impact on the profitability of your book. Sticking with basic formatting may even allow you to utilize the same file for conversion to Kindle. To help you maximize profitability and keep the cost low, here are some simple formatting recommendations:
- Dual Header (left & right) – Centered at top of page. Authors’ name on left, Book title on right (additional charge for headers to match chapter titles).
- Page # in footer – center of page at bottom.
- Font choice (including font size): Up to three different fonts are allowed throughout the text. Normally I suggest the author choose a maximum of two fonts to be used throughout the entire book, with the exception of the title page.
- Standard trim sizes available: 6” x 9” (most common), 5.5” x 8.5”, and 8.5” x 11”
- If desired, up to two different fleurons. Fleurons are decorative breaks used within chapters between a chapter title and the text of the body. Available fleurons will be provided.
- Our fee for print-on-demand layout/setup does not include required modifications for cover. We do have graphic designers who can assist for an additional fee. We will provide the exact dimensions necessary for the cover (including spine and back cover) that you can send to your graphic designer.
- Images: Our standard pricing includes inserting up to ten images. For best results, it’s recommended that all images are provided to us at 300 DPI. However, lower resolution images are common and won’t prevent the book from being printed.
- Upon receipt of payment in full, client will be provided source file (.docx) and pdf (suitable for print).
Print-on-Demand cost to print (including full color cover) depends on the printer, page count, and quantity ordered, but a good rule of thumb (fairly conservative) is:
- Black and White: $.02/page
- Full color $.04 (economy) - .08/page (full glossy)
Author’s files will be setup with their own account to order directly from the printer (thus paying at actual printing cost without markup). We are not setup to take individual orders for print books, so it’s assumed the author is willing to order directly from the printer (we can show you how).
Revisions and Proofs
A digital proof (PDF) will be provided. The first proof you receive may be exactly what you want, which is often the case. But if not, we’ll make changes/corrections and send you a second proof. If you require additional changes beyond the second proof, additional charges will be applied. To provide you with a fixed fee – we’ve assumed up to an hour labor for revisions. If your revisions exceed the time allocated, an additional fee will apply (at a rate of $95/hour). To avoid additional charges, we highly recommend that you submit your entire list of corrections at one time.
Library of Congress Number
We highly recommend an LCCN (Library of Congress Control Number). Being listed in the online catalog of the Library of Congress will allow libraries to purchase your book. Submission to the Library of Congress does require an ISBN # (which we can assign to you for an additional fee*).
Note on ISBN numbers purchased through us:
We provide ISBN #’s as a convenience to our customers but retain no rights to your work, and you are not obligated in any way to use the ISBN # we assign to you. If you elect to acquire an ISBN # (required for print distribution, Lightning Source, CreateSpace, and the Library of Congress for each title) through us, it will be registered to Wise Media Group. Wise Media Group has been established for the purpose of obtaining ISBN #’s on behalf of our clients who hire us on a work-for-hire basis and require ISBN #’s. Although Wise Media Group is listed as the publisher for the ISBN provided to your title(s), no rights or privileges to your work are retained by Wise Media Group whatsoever. Instead, acting in an agent role, we acquired an ISBN on your behalf (at a discount). For more information on your ISBN options (and costs) please visit: https://selfpublish.org/isbn.md
Metadata Setup at Bowker
Highly Recommended: We can setup the proper metadata at Bowker (tied to your ISBN) which will provide you a listing at Bookwire.com (Bowker site) to improve findability at more retailers and libraries:
Account Setup with Printers and Setup for Distribution
Setup on CreateSpace (for sale on Amazon) and through IngramSpark (for worldwide distribution). Being ‘available’ in distribution is no guarantee that your book will be listed in all the bookstores or purchased by libraries. While a listing on Amazon is guaranteed, other retailers (ie. BN) will list your book in their catalog at their discretion.
The Following Services Are Not Provided in This Scope
- Editing or proofreading of existing content.
- Insertion of additional chapters or images not currently in the book.
Fee quoted is contingent upon review of file submitted, and specific tasks required by author. The following items typically need to be taken into consideration on the overall scope of work (cost and turn-around time):
☐ Interior formatting
☐ Full-spread cover design
☐ Registration of metadata with Bowker
☐ Setup on Author's accounts at Snowfall (ARCs), CreateSpace & IngramSpark
☐ Acquisition of LCCN (Library of Congress) number
☐ Printed proofs
Additional Services Offered
I'm available to elaborate and discuss additional options. Please use my online scheduler to book a marketing consultation.